Wednesday, April 17, 2013



One of the three sources that I chose was from http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/us/colorado-gun-control. This talks about some of the recent shootings that have happened.  How people believe that you can obtain guns too easily. They believe this because an 18 year old was able to buy a gun and shot and killed people at Columbine. Another reason why they are limiting the clip size on guns in Colorado is because of the shooting at the movie theater they believe that if he had a smaller clip on his gun he wouldn’t have wounded and killed as many people as he did.
Another source that I chose was from http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/17/colorado-sheriff-says-new-state-gun-laws-wont-be-enforced/. This talks about why sheriffs aren’t going to enforce the new gun laws in Colorado. One of the reasons why they won’t enforce this law is because they wouldn’t have any proof if somebody was complying with these laws or not. For instant if somebody buys a gun clip that is bigger than allowed in Colorado all they would have to say is they bought the clip before the laws were enforced. This is why cops would have a hard time trying to say they didn’t it’s not like they are going to keep the receipt for it. Another cop said he would destroy the data base that contains all the information that says who has a concealed weapons permit if the government started arresting people over it. Another thing that I think that would make it hard to try and regulate the law would be buying guns and bigger clips in a state that it would be legal then bringing them into a state that it was illegal. Then what if somebody makes their own gun parts is the government going to say that they cant do that either. I don’t see where these gun laws will last very long if nobody is even going to follow them or enforce them.
The last source I chose was http://www.holyokeenterprise.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7059:colorado-moves-forward-with-gun-control-laws&catid=34:local-news&Itemid=34. In this it talks about some of the consequences that could happen to people if they don’t follow the new regulations on guns. If you don’t do a background check you can spend 6-18 months in jail and a fine of 500 to 5000 dollars. If you buy a clip over 15 rounds after July 1 can go to jail. It does talk more about cops and how they feel about the new regulations on guns.
I think these sources will help me to write more on my essay. I think that they are good sources and shows what law enforcement thinks about these new laws. I will also be able to understand why these laws were placed to start with and what the reasoning was behind it. From these citations I learned how these laws would be enforced or if they would be enforced at all.

4 comments:

  1. I think that if they actually ban guns in colorado that the law abiding citizens will listen and give up their guns. But the thugs and gang bangers that are using these guns to commit all these crimes arent going to just give up their guns. They arent going to find other safer methods of weapons to rob people with. In fact if they take guns away from the citizens they are just empowering the criminals and making everyone else more vulnerable. Instead of taking the guns away. Use the guns these criminals are using on them and let them feel what its like to be shot. To be unarmed and gunned down. I can guarantee crimes rates would drop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I agree, We purchase our guns, register them and do it all the right way, and we are bieng punished. We have a right to protect ourselves. We end up with less protection and criminals get more. I think it will come to the point when, everyone is purchasing them off the streets and cops have legal weapons. You have shown a lot of information, keep looking for as much as you can. What if, we were back in the western days? What was the difference from now and then? what changed? What if you had smaller clips, but five more? One bullet kills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking into using this topic for my paper as well but decided to go another route because this one looked to be a bit difficult to research, so good on you for pursuing it! There are some good points that you bring up, but I feel like the sources are a bit lacking. From what I can see, these sources are all websites. If you add a few scholarly articles with research, statistics, or case studies I think it would add to the strength of your argument, as well as the overall credibility of the paper. I would be really interested in seeing if there are any papers out there detailing the economical consequences, good or bad, that would arise from banning weapons from citizens. It would also be interesting to see studies done on the potential social and psychological impacts that this kind of nation-wide ban would cause. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to throw out there that I believe that guns are for hunting and protection. That is it.
    I think that you have done a great job on your research. But before I get to personal about this, I want to say that I do not believe that even if guns get "banned" that everyone is going to give them up. I think if we used guns how they were built to be used, Sure, we should definitely ban them. Guns were designed to kill. I am not saying that that is right by all means, but if we look at the larger picture and go back when guns were invented, we would find that guns really were made to kill.
    Any who, Great job on your sources! And good luck with your paper!

    ReplyDelete